New around here ? Start With the Basics
Who treats psychological problems?
Can normal people consult Psychiatrist?
All medications given by psychiatrists are to be used lifelong?
All medications given by Psychiatrists are addicting?
How to get help for patients who do not want to seek help?
1). Get a person whom the patient trust to speak to the patient
2) Get the patient to a doctor with someone who can volunteer as a patient( which will help to shift the focus from the patients problem).For eg: When someone shows symptoms of mental illness, his or her spouse can request for a marital counselling and shift the focus of attention from the patient to him or her.
3) Start on the issue the patient is willing to work and not on the issues he does not want to
eg: he might want to consult for his sleep related issues and not for his or her behavioral problems.
4) Tell patient to consider one appointment with the psychiatrist and then give him the option to decide if he wants to go again or not.
5) Patient feeling he has no problem, itself can be a symptom of the illness (no insight) so do not spend time trying to convince the patient he has an illness
6) If all methods fail and the patient are seriously ill, you can seek help from the Indian mental health act were a patient can be admitted against his will to the hospital.
Always use the least restrictive method first.
Remember there is no single method to seek help but always focus on how to get the patient to the doctor and not on the problems you will face in the process. If you feel another method will work you can always try but consider safety of the patient, yourself and the family.
What are the usual reasons for hospitalization?
⦁ If patient is suicidal and has active plans to do so
⦁ If patient has thoughts to harm others and has been violent
⦁ The symptoms of the illness are such that it is difficult to contain the patient at home and he is wandering from place to place.
⦁ He continues in the same harmful behavior eg: taking alcohol and drugs in spite of having received treatment.
⦁ When Patient has a very poor support
⦁ To stabilize on new medications
⦁ Adjust to new symptoms
⦁ Get the help they need.
Is Psychotherapy useful ?
For therapies to work, the patient must be willing to follow the instructions given by the therapist and be regular.
Medications given by psychiatrist have side effects?
Request a Call Back
Are you looking for an ideal solution for your psychological problems? Dr. Anu is your psychiatrist you can rely on, feel free to contact us.